If the complaint is of such a nature that it quickly leads to aggravation, permanent damage or even is life-threatening, you should immediately make an appointment with your doctor or specialist or rush to the nearest hospital. Such acute complaints should first be examined by your regular doctor or the emergency department of a hospital. Your doctor, the hospital and the pharmaceutical industry have fantastic techniques and resources that can stabilise most conditions.
If you have a nagging, vage, chronic, varying or long lasting complaint or a recurring problem, then solving the problem requires an explanation of the underlying cause. These conditions should preferably not be treated with a symptomatic approach.
If your doctor no longer has the answers, if you are taking analgesic or anti-inflammatory drugs, if you are being prescribed long-term medication or are looking for a “second opinion”, then a well-trained complementary therapist is very suitable.
A few examples
If the cause of your complaint is mostly unknown, you are generally better off with an alternative trained therapist. If your complaint is rather traumatic or acute, visit your doctor. A few examples for clarification:
“Every bite I eat comes out immediately” is a complaint to the regular doctor, as well as rising fever, bleeding, STDs, a broken arm or sudden abdominal cramps.
In other words: rapidly escalating or derailing complaints must first be stabilized by a doctor / specialist / hospital before a complementary therapist can help you further!
Conditions such as cancer and AIDS must also remain under regular control. Supportive therapies are possible and can be sensible in such cases.
For chronic complaints such as:
- I have muscle or back pain after exercise (with normal sports load)
- I wake up every night around … o’clock (or I can’t fall asleep)
- I have to get out of bed several times every night to pee
- I have been tired or depressed or hyperactive or anxious for weeks now
- I can’t tolerate fatty meals or feel bloated
- I am getting fatter without eating a lot (or I am getting thinner without eating less)
- I think the complaint is mainly between my ears
- My lower back is always a bit stiff or sore
- My body hurts or I have to be careful with physical strain
- My child often has a snotty nose, ear infections or is hyperactive
- My body and / or mouth odor is very intensive or unpleasant
- I have an upset stomach, acid reflux, hunger pains or the food won’t go down
- I have lymph nodes, inflammation, asthma, rheumatism, gout
- I suffer from gas formation, constipation, diarrhea or irregular bowel movements
- I suffer from skin conditions such as eczema, fungal infections, a lime nail or ingrown nail, psoriasis or acne
- Since my stress period / pregnancy / vacation / accident I never became my ‘old self’ again
- I do not know when the complaint started but I have been suffering from it for years (or I am used to it)
- It doesn’t feel right, but I don’t know exactly what it is
- Sometimes it gets worse or better when I …
a complementary treatment is usually more appropriate.